Sunday, May 31, 2015

Dunkirk

I had to make a big loop around Brussels when I left. They were having a marathon in town so most of the city was shut down. I headed north towards Dunkirk. First, though, I wanted to stop by the Westvleteren brewery/monastery to see if I could buy a few for the road. Of course they didn’t have any to take away only to drink at their cafĂ©. I had a beer and some cheese and bread and was headed off. 

The Monastery

The beer was amazing, I knew that would be the case, but the cheese and bread!!!! I wasn't expecting to be blown away by!!! Simply SPECTACULAR

I ended up on some small back roads in Belgium. They were nice and paved, Totoshka were not in Russia anymore!


I made it to Dunkirk just as it started to sprinkle. I found a camping spot, set up the tent, then headed out to see Dunkirk.

I walked down the beach, in the rain and wind, to find a bunch of bunkers. They were built in the late 1800's and upgraded as time went.


I found a spot out of the wind to set down. Its hard to imagine these are the same beaches, where 75 years ago exactly, over 30,000 men had been evacuated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment